Saturday, August 18, 2012

Foodie Friday: Cream O' Mushroom Soup Rice

I meant to post this yesterday (Friday), but I kept forgetting to upload the pictures from my iPod to my laptop.

For the last week or so, Brian has been sick with a cold of some sort, so he's been eating what in our house "sick people food" (chicken noodle soup, rice, fruits, etc). Because of this, I haven't been eating the same thing as him which makes meals a little harder since I'm not used to have to make two different meals for us.

Last night, I looked in our fridge, freezer, and cupboards and I couldn't find two different things for us, so I found something that we could both eat, and something that was tasty.

I made one of my mom's "go-to" dinners and removed one ingredient and it was DELICIOUS! My mom usually makes "Cream of Mushroom soup Chicken" - but since we didn't have any chicken, I just made Cream O' Mushroom Soup Rice. Here's the recipe:


Ingredients

1 Family sized can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 Cups dry brown rice (yields about 6 cups cooked, use what ever type of rice you prefer)
2-3 Cups frozen corn (depending on how much you want)
Salt and Pepper to taste


How to do it

1. Cook soup according to can, but instead of adding 1 can of water, simply use 1 cup of water
2. Cook rice on the stove or in a rice cooker
3. Cook corn
4. Combine soup, rice and corn
5. Serve immediately
6. Salt and Pepper to taste



(Blame my Ipod touch for the bad camera quality!)





(It was seriously delicious though!)


Cost

We had all of the ingredients needed to make the dish, but if we were to buy everything - it would be under $10 for the entire dish. With Both Brian and I eating the meal, we have made it last for dinner last night and lunch today.



This is something that you can almost make in a dorm room (just need a stove) and keeps pretty well. Not much preparation is needed and you don't need to be an awesome cook in order to make it.


Happy cooking and post in the comments any variations that you've made!




2 comments:

  1. This actually does sound like it would be good. My family and I eat a chicken casserole that is good, but I've never thought to use rice in it. Might be able to make the meal cheaper by adding rice and cutting out some chicken. Hmmm...

    Anyways... Sorry to "think out loud" on your blog. LOL. I think you've given me a craving! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it, let me know how it turns out, or if you make any variations to make it even better :)

      No worries about thinking out loud, I do it all the time :)

      Delete